Want to learn music?
With me, you will
- learn to find and play chords for songs and indian ragas
- learn to play the guitar – from the very basics to more advanced rhythms, fingering and chords
- learn to play indian music on the guitar or other western instruments
- learn indian music – to sing or play on your instrument using methods that are most effective for you. (each of us learn differently)
- learn to record, mix and produce your music, your singing or multi instrumental songs
- learn to use software sequencers, effects (screen sharing included)
- tell me your specific need… use me as a safe support.
Language My mother tongue is Malayalam. I speak English, bit of Tamil and Hindi, and basic Spanish.
Like to know more? Add me on skype (login: shyammonk) and let me know what times are convenient for you to talk. Add me on facebook (shyammonk) and we could chat sometime.
The process is simple :
- Mail me about your interest.
- We will decide a time suitable for both of us considering our time zone differences
- I send you my skype login and we meet as decided.
- If you want to just try it out, we can meet for half an hour without any fees.
You could be an absolute beginner, someone who has been playing for quite sometime, a professional who needs some information on indian music or ragas and chords. Your experience or age does not matter.
We will work in a way that breaks up the practice into comfortable useful pieces that when put together will give you clear results.
If you are not clear about your needs, how to practice or what exactly to learn, don't worry. It is my job to understand your needs and suggest where to start or what to practice in a way convenient for you.
The major difference between learning on your own and learning from a teacher is the fact that the teacher knows where you need to go and how to help you get there.
$20 (15 euros) per hour
Payment through paypal – easy and secure. Send me a mail. We will fix up a date and time, we will meet.
Contact me if you have anything to ask about. If you are in India, write to me – paypal does not allow within India transactions.
Frequency of classes
Usually 4 classes a month. I have students who have 4 classes a week since that suits there needs. At the same time, some have 2 classes a month since they feel the need to have longer spans between the classes.
Carnatic on guitar
Below is a video of Carnatic Tillana in Dhanashri raga played on the Acoustic guitar. The playing involves horizontal movement to include typical slurs (gamagas) using slides hammer ons and pull offs. The playing also shows how the vertical relation between strings on the guitar is used to play the carnatic melody with ease and least effort on the western instrument. It is important that we keep the characteristic of the Indian composition intact while adopting it in a way suitable for the instrument.
Get an Introduction or general guidance in music if you are just starting to learn music – get it right in the crucial first days.
If you have been learning music for some time, our aim is
- to get you unstuck if needed and get going
- take your music to the next level – vertical skill growth
- independence so that you become capable enough to go on on your own, widening your abilities and understanding of music in a self sufficient life long journey.
- Indian music related
You could be someone settled in life, now searching the realms of self actualization and feels music could be part of the answer.
You could be a student who is keen about music or playing the guitar.
You could be someone who plays the guitar and wants to know more about indian music, how to play it.
You tell me your need and i may be able to help.
- Playing the guitar
- Playing South Indian Classical (Carnatic) lead on guitar
- Rhythm playing on guitar. Rhythm guitar on hariharan ghazal, Rhythm guitar on Carnatic Classical 5/8 6/8 changes, Rhythm Guitar on Carnatic Geetham 7/8
- Learning Indian Classical Music, interested in guitar.
- Publish online
The videos on this site have examples illustrating the different skills on the guitar.
Here is an example video showing how to play Alaipayuthe Kanna on Acoustic guitar. (a small part from the video lesson bundle.)
- Music Theory – e.g. Basics + Understanding Scales using Interval Naming
- Music Theory for guitar (e.g. music theory for guitar – 5 related chords) – Chords and Scales – Indian raga related harmonizing
- Understanding Indian Raga explained in Western Theory. e.g. Understanding Indian Raga Mayamalavagowla – Analysis, Comparison, Modes, Chords
After this you won't need chord charts, you will know how to associate scales / ragas and chords and more.
- You will be self sufficient in understanding how music works.
- You will be able to do music with awareness, knowing what you are doing and why something works.
- You will understand your instrument – guitar or keyboard or another – much better, being able to see patterns and using them for easy music making.
This is the stuff that will make you a better musician. This will make you independent with the understanding it gives you about how music works.
Do 6 hours to Musical Independence with me, and you will know what i mean.
This theory is musical!
- Singing – Whatever improvement i have made to my singing was done in the past few years. Singing was never my main field, and i know how some of us who were not considered singers from childhood can get better with it.
- Sing and play the guitar
- Publish online
Basic Keyboard, Sequencer, Sound Engineering, Arranging
- Basic sequencer work flow and examples
- Basics of VST instruments
- Basics of Keyboard Programming / Midi Sequencing
- Your specific needs with arranging, multitrack sequencing and basic sound engineering.
Who is this for? Good for vocalists and instrumentalists who want to produce their own songs. For keyboard programmers, composers, arrangers who want basic help with your projects. Get yourselves accustomed to the best ways.
Want to get yourself a basic recording setup? I could help. Come online, talk to me.
- Composition related
- Advanced theory
- Other help for Pros and semi pros
Something not listed but that i can probably help – artist business, about page, write up? Tell me.
Advanced Sound engineering, Sequencer Work Flow
- Recording, Mixing, Effects Explained
- Sequencer Work flow – hire me for an hour and i can help you sequence and make music with ease – save time and smoothen the work flow.
- Arranging, arranging on sequencer
- Keyboard programming or midi sequencing
Sound engineering, effects, sequencer work flow, computer producer, midi programming, vst instruments, setting up digital audio workstation, recording vocals, recording guitar, multi track choral effect with one singer…
Write to me now – let us discuss your needs and what can be done.